Re: Serials microfilming

Paul -- I feel most comfortable dealing with serials on a
title-by-title basis.  When filming brittle foreign periodical
titles, I'll film up as high as 1950, because I'm less concerned
about copyright.  U.S. titles, however, we frequently stop at the
copyright cut-off, now 1922.  NYU is particularly sensitve to
copyright infringement. Brittle volumes past that date, are
either replaced with preservation photocopy, or boxed to consolidate
and protect them.  (Of course, any titles already available on film
are bought and the hard copy is tossed to make room on shelves. Space
is a huge issue here).  --Paula

Paula De Stefano
Head, Preservation Department
New York University Libraries