Exhibits + One Other Matter

Folks,

Please let me float another query to the list.  (I will speak about my last
query at the end of this message.)

The Preservation Office here at Princeton is responsible for all exhibit
prep and installation in the main library. (Curatorial staff from the
library's Department of Rare Books and Special Collections are responsible
for the intellectual content of the exhibits.)   I would like to hear from
other library PAs whose units have similar responsibilities and who can
offer insights into the following:

1.      Can you close off your exhibit space to the public between exhibits?
1a.     If you cannot, how do you inform the public and staff moving through
the space of an exhibit change and the preparations currently being made to
install a new one?
2.      How long on average does it take for you to take down one exhibit
and install another?
2a.     If you are in a public space which remains open, exhibit in place or
not, how long do your exhibit cases remain empty between exhibits?
3.      Do you have dedicated exhibit prep staff?
3a.     If yes, how many FTE?
3b.     What level are these staff?  Professional, technical, paraprofessional?
3c.     If no, how do you handle exhibit prep among your staff?
3d.     What priority is given exhibit work in relation to other department
work?
4.      During take down of one exhibit and installation of another, do you
call in other preservation staff to expedite the process, ie to shorten
downtime as much as possible, eg by making cradles or mats, fabricating
labels and case cards, cleaning cases, removing/installing objects from/in
the cases, etc?
5.      Who is your library is responsible for the intellectual content of
the exhibits?
5a.     Do these staff meet your deadlines regarding receipt of materials to
prep them appropriately?
6.      How many exhibits do you put up in a typical year?
6a.     How many objects do you handle for exhibit in a typical year?
6b.     Of those you handle, how many receive conservation treatment before
or after exhibit?
7.      For those of you without exhibit responsibilities, does your library
have a separate exhibits office?

Princeton Special Collections Conservation unit staff within the
Preservation Office are responsible for exhibits, and one technical position
is dedicated to exhibit prep and installation etc.  (Other unit staff pitch
in when necessary to expedite matters.)  This position is one year young but
exhibit prep was handled differently (in special collections) prior to this
position's extablishment.  Last year we prepped and installed 9 exhibits in
three separate exhibit areas in the library.  This involved handling more
than 1,000 objects--books, flat papers, and 3D pieces.  We also loaned a
number of objects for 5 exhibits at other institutions.  Items requiring
treatment and protection in order for them to be safely exhibited are
handled accordingly.  There has been a tremendous growth in the amount of
work being done along with concomitant challenges which must be addressed.
So I am asking for you to share your experiences with me and the list.

NEWS CONCERNING MY LAST QUERY:  I received a very fair number of responses
to my query about preservation committees and will summarize the results for
all to see soon.

Thank you.

Robert
Robert J. Milevski