CD-ROMs on open shelves in libraries

The following messages have been posted to this discussion group at the
originator's request.

I hope that some discussion might be instigated on the list. Many libraries
are in the same position, i.e. wondering how to manage CD-ROMs in library
circulation, but have no procedures in place. Does anyone know of any
literature on this subject?

Jeanette Regan

>Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:06:29 +0000
>From: Robert Seeds <rss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: CD-ROM preservation?
>To: "jeanette.regan" <library@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Jeanette,
>	Most responses I received were not applicable to my situation.  They all
>talked about keeping CD's separate, not circulating them, etc.  We're waaay
>beyond that!  With 40,000 students we have no choice but to circulate all
>software that accompany our monographs.  I'm still looking for advice on
>what sort of sleeve/pocket/box bound onto the casing is necessary.  I'm
>looking for the smallest, simplest one that's adequate.  My reaction is
>that the LC practice of phase boxes and jewel cases, while the best for
>preservation, is overkill in a book with a shelf life of 5 years!
>	Please do send your opinions/experiences/pointers.  Thanks,
>Bob Seeds
>

>>>Dear fellow PAMnetters,
>>>
>>>	I'm debating about the sort of container to hold CD-ROMs (w/ software) in
>>>the backs of comp sci books when we have them bound.  The highest quality
>>>appears to be a phase box to hold the jewel case, if it comes with one.
>>>Unfortunately this is quite expensive and takes up additional shelf space.
>>>Since most computer books have a short half-life, I'm tempted to simply use
>>>a plastic sleeve (and a less expensive binding).  The down-side seems to be
>>>that the CD would probably get dirtier.  Will this deteriorate the data or
>>>does it mean the user might just need to clean it more often?  What's your
>>>understanding, opinion, or experience with this question?

Branch Librarian
Astronomy Branch Libraries (ANU)
Mt Stromlo & Siding Spring Observatories
Private Bag
WESTON CREEK PO  ACT 2611  AUSTRALIA.

Phone: +61 6249-0226     Fax:   +61 6249-5635
e-mail: jeanette.regan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx