Re:

>To: Meredith Curtis <mcurtis@xxxxxxx>
>From: John Dean <jfd5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re:
>
>I first question the appropriateness of encapsulating early manuscripts of
this type.  You don't say whether these are paper or parchment, but I
suspect the latter.  I would suggest you consider rigid protective
enclosures, such as custom-made boxes or portfolios rather than
encapsulation.  In these cases, accommodation can be made for the
medallions by constructing a contour or "sink" section from matt board.
Because parchment is dimensionally unstable, it is important that the
enclosure be capable of restraining its natural tendency to distort in
conditions of varying humidity.

>If you feel encapsulation must be done, the ribbons and medallions can be
left outside the encapsulation, but still must be enclosed in a box ot
other enclosure.  It is important that you have a conservator look at these
before proceeding though.  If the manuscripts have some illumination, the
electrostatic nature of the polyester film will almost certainly release
the pigment and gold, which will appear as loose powder or flakes in the
encapsulation.  Many early inks are just as friable.

>At 04:23 PM 8/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>I am in the process of encapsulating several manuscripts dating from
>>the 12th and 13th centuries.  A few have cotton ties attatched to
>>the manuscripts. And, the ties have ceramic disc-shaped tokens
>>attatched to them.  The ceramic tokens make encapsulation difficult
>>since they are so bulky.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Would
>>you leave the ties hanging out?
>>Please respond to the list or to me personally (mcurtis@xxxxxxx)
>>THANK YOU!
>>Meredith Curtis
>>Meredith Curtis
>>Technical/Public Services Librarian
>>St. Francis Seminary
>>Salzmann Library
>>3257 S. Lake Drive
>>St. Francis, WI 53235
>>mcurtis@xxxxxxx

John F. Dean
Director and Conservation Librarian
Department of Preservation and Conservation
214 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Telephone: (607)255-9687