Re: Five-Year Preservation/Conservation Plans

The eleven comprehensive research libraries of New York State all have five
year plans dating back to March 1985.  The most recent covers the period
FY 1995-96 to 2000-2001.  The libraries are Columbia, Cornell, NYPL, New
York State Library, NYU, Rochester, Syracuse, and the four SUNYs, Albany,
Buffalo, Binghamton, and Stony Brook.
At Cornell, we have found the five year plan system to be most
advantageous, as it enables the Department to enlist the support of the
library administration for a plan to submit to the State. Not only does
this require some in depth-planning on the part of the department,
especially for budgetary reasons, but raises fundamental questions relating
to general direction that really must be supported by the library
administration.  Inevitably, these discussions involve other units of the
library in some way, and it is reassuring to have an indication of
institutional endorsement for where we think we are going.

At 03:43 PM 6/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I would like to hear from anyone via the list or offline regarding whether
>they have a five-(or four- or three-)year plan for preservation or
>conservation in their units.
>
>We do not have such a document here but we do see the utility and advantage
>of one, especially with regard to activities such as budget and
>resource/staff management and rare books and special collections
>conservation.  When one's unit is sufficiently organized, planning ahead for
>collections-based projects with subject collections in the general stack
>materials is also feasible and doable.  A 5-year plan  should also work for
>programmatic activities.
>
>So, anyone out there care to share their experiences?
>
>Robert Milevski
>Robert J. Milevski
>Preservation Librarian
>Princeton University Library
>One Washington Road
>Princeton, NJ 08540
>609-258-5591; fax: 609-258-4105
>email: milevski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John F. Dean
Director and Conservation Librarian
Department of Preservation and Conservation
214 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Telephone: (607)255-9687