barcodes

At the University of Chicago Library we are in the process of ordering a new
supply of barcodes.  We use both the single and piggyback types.  Singles
are placed on the outside and inside back cover.  Piggybacks are placed on
the back cover, or on the last text page of paperbacks.

We want to get bids from new vendors.  We currently use Lowry (previously
called Data Recall).  We have had some problems over the years with this
vendor such as batches of barcodes without adhesive and a batch that later
fell off.  Our newest problem is that the  piggyback barcodes seem to ooze
and stick onto adjacent pages.

Can anyone recommend a new vendor to include in our bidding process?  For
those of you who have been through this before, we use Codabar (a standard
type of coding) and we get a Compuguard coating.

Sherry Byrne
Preservation Librarian
sbyr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(773) 702-9313 voice