Calling All Luthiers

[Moderator's note (CK): If you feel that the subject of a communication is
likely "to bore the other members of this list" it makes no sense
submitting it in the first place. From here on out, if the author of
anything which is sent to this list states that it is not likely to be of
interest to the list, I will respect that judgement and silently reject
the posting. There may certainly be arcane subjects of discussion within
the domain of this list that will only interest a few of its members. If
you suspect that you may be addressing such an issue please submit a brief
note to that effect rather than a lengthy detailed question which you
don't expect to be of interest to more than a fraction of the entire gang.]

If there are any Luthiers on this list, I could use some help with my prize
$20 Flea Market Banjo.  Please reply to me personally, Pbjrun@AOL.com, so as
not to bore the other members of this list.

I am attempting to lower the strings on my flea market find..  It's an
"Audition" 5 string banjo.  I know it's not a valuable antique, but it will
serve my purpose; namely, having some fun plucking out folk tunes.

After I cleaned it up and put some new strings on it, I noticed that the
strings were terribly high off the fret board.  There is a set of threaded
screws which run diametrically across the banjo rind, from the end of the
banjo to the heel of the neck.  They are connected by a long hexagonal nut.
 (My other banjo has the same arrangement)  There is also a large phillips
head screw in the heel of the neck.  What do these things do.

I turned the long hexagonal nut and was surprised when I found  that the
strings seemed to come down.  But what I found was that the banjo head was
all wrinkled.  It seems that all I did was make my banjo head oval.  What is
the purpose of this nut?  And what is the function of the phillips head
screw? (I'm afraid to touch that).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]