Modelling instruments

I have read with interest the correspondence in the micat-l group.

My own interest is in signal processing with applications to music. I play
the violin for fun and, like many other electronic engineers, have a
considerable interest in music.

I am just beginning a research project which aims to set up computer
models of musical instruments in such a way as to represent their physical
parameters.  It is intended that these parameters can be changed by the
user in such a way that different physical aspects of a musical instrument
can be represented.  As a result, the significance of various physical
parameters and their contribution to the sound produced by the instrument
would be determined.  Mechanical and real instrument rigs will be built
together with an analytical sub-system.

The project is fairly ambitious and will involve several researchers over
a few years.  It is thought that such a system could be adapted for use by
instrument makers and restorers either as a database or a user-friendly
subsystem itself.  At some stage I should also like to incorporate the
effect of various types of wood, brass finishes, cleaning, staining,
preserving etc.

I should be very pleased to hear from anyone who might be interested in
the principles of such a project and any suggextions you might have from a
restoration viewpoint.

Jackie Long (j-long@pat.uwe.ac.uk)

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]