Re: Restoration as compromise

[Moderator's note:  This message was originally posted on Aug 30.
Apologies for the delay in forwarding it to the list.]

Hello,

I subscribed to this forum in order to better understand some issues
I am faced with as a collector.

Background:

I am a guitarist, historian, musicologist, publisher of scholarly
editions for lute and guitar. Privately, I have a small collection of
19th century guitars. Very small. One 1821 Gaetano Guadagnini, one
1861 6-string by Johann Gottfried Scherzer, one 6+4 1862 Scherzer and
one 1915 7+3 by Eroshkin.

My problem is this: the best in the lot is the 1862 Scherzer. To my
knowledge, this is the only Scherzer in existence outside a museum.
As a matter of fact, the only other Scherzers I know about is the one
in the Kopenhagen Collection and the one in the St. Petersburg
Museum of Musical Instruments. I have seen both. (Of course, I would
be interested to hear about other Scherzers I do not know about.)

This guitar is still in playable condition but does require major
restoration. It has been used by a Russian 7-stringer gypsy player in
daily performances in bars and restaurants until I acquired it in
1988.

Before tackling a restoration job I need to understand a few things:

1. How one goes about establishing what the "original" may have been?

The problem is difficult here, because the neck in the Legnani-
Staufer design used by Scherzer is removable. Attached to the
soundbox with a single screw. When I got the instrument, it has a
single neck for seven strings. Luckily, my Russian friend had also
another neck, which he said was the original. This one is a double
neck, with 6 strings on the main neck, and four additional basses
over a fretless secondary neck. Now, the instrument is reputed to
have been made by Scherzer for Nikolai Alexandrov, a famous Russian
player of the seven-string guitar. Obviously, a 6+4 "original" neck
would not have been useful to Alexandrov. After his death in 1881,
the guitar passed over to Vassily Lebedev, who was a famous _six-
stringer_ at the turn of the century. There is a photograph of
Lebedev with this particular guitar on page 209 of the P. Bone
dictionary. The question is:

Would it be considered a restoration to the "original" instrument, if
the restorer kept the 6+4 neck, even though there is ground to
believe the Russian legend (or fairy-tale) that it was originally
equipped with a 7+3 neck?

Next question:

The top arch of the body, where the player would rest the right arm,
is badly worn down to the quick. Even the purfling at that point is
crushed beyond recognition. The result of many decades of misuse by
an indigent performer. If one was was to repair the damage, one would
also need to refinish a large portion of the soundboard in this area.
Would it be, then, proper to refinish the entire soundboard to match?
(Assuming one knows what sort of finish to apply!)

One more:

If one is to believe the stories, (and when dealing with Russian
sources, most often the oral tradition is the only one available,) the
Lebedev guitar, as obvious from the photograph in Bone's had a strip
of wood fixed on the soundboard along the first string, on which
to rest the little finger of the right hand. That strip is now
missing from my guitar, but close observation clearly indicates that
such a strip was indeed attached in that location and then, rather
forcibly I am afraid, was removed. Even if we assume that the strip
was put there originally by Scherzer, (hardly a reasonable
assumption, I am sure you will agree) perhaps on the request
of Alexandrov, would it be proper _not_ to restore that part, since
it would serve no useful purpose for players in the late 20th
century?

My intention is to restore the instrument to full structural and
aesthetic condition as possible, without introducing any foreign
elements into it. Although it certainly qualifies as a museum piece,
I intend to make it available to players for performances and
recordings of the particular repertoire written for it. (10 string,
24 frets.) I still have not decided who I shall entrust with this
restoration, (I am not about to try it myself!) but these are
questions I need to resolve before discussing the issues with a
prospective restorer.

Any advice on these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matanya Ophee

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]