Re: iron stain, dying wood

[Moderator's note:  Joshua first sent this communication on Sept 7, but
it bounced back to him for reasons which I haven't yet had a chance to
determine. His second attempt at forwarding it is now being acted upon.
Ordinarily, I spot irregularities in communication with the micat-l host
shortly after they occur and the list members never notice any
difficulty. Since I've been out of town (will be back at work on Monday)
I haven't been able to keep an eye on this aspect of the list's
management. (Which, by the way, is supposed to be my only concern. The
actual moderatation was to be split among my three still invisible
colleagues.)  I'll check through the relevant log files to see if
anything else has been stuck in e-limbo and will forward whatever I find
asap.]

The George Frank books are:

    "Adventures in Wood Finishing", The Taunton Press, 81
    "Wood Finishing with George Frank", Sterling Publ. Co., 88

Also:

F. N. Vanderwalker, "Wood Finishing Plain and Decorative",
    Frederick J. Drake & Co. (Chicago IL), 65

Charles H. Hayward, "Staining and Polishing", Drake Publ. Ltd
    (NY NY), various editions 59-69

Tage Frid, "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking: shaping, veneering,
    finishing" (vol. 2 of 3), The Taunton Press, 81
    [may have been reprinted as a combined vol 1 & 2]

Monty Kennedy, "Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks", The
    Stackpole Company (Harrisburg PA), 52-90

I have seen a number of other books over the years.  One problem
with many such books is the use of traditional names for chemicals;
e.g., copperas for iron sulphate or muriatic acid for (I think)
hydrochloric acid.  These can be tricky to translate.  Another
problem is that many of the chemicals are now industrially obsolete,
and almost impossible to locate.

Joshua Proschan       jproschan@mcimail.com

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]