Re: Oiling winds

Quoting Dana Emery:

> Smaller instruments may even get enough moisture into
> their upper parts that they go ovoid temporarily, causing them to alter
> pitch (l/bore-area ratio determines pitch).

I'd be very grateful for a reference to some hard data that supports this
assertion.

> Pipes will be less affected by this as the players breath has some time to
> cool off (especially in cooler weather), but some condensation in the bag
> itself is inevitable, and I am aware that the leather of the bag gets
> considerable attention in the way of oil in order to combat the effects of
> that moisture.

Bags are dressed to render them airtight, not watertight, and as far as I
know oils are rigorously excluded from the various "seasonings" used for
the purpose.

> As we all know, moisture gradients induce stress in wood, and stress is bad
> for stability, so oil which inhibits this wetting may be beneficial in the
> long run.

Once again, I'd really appreciate reference to hard data in support of
the contention that oiling a bore in anyway results in a significant
barrier to the absorbtion of water by the wood.

> However, it may also be harmful in the short run, the shed
> moisture will itself affect the acoustics of the instrument (consider brass
> intsruments and their spit-valves).  Players are encouraged to play "dry",
> with varying degrees of success (I tend to be a wet player).

The earliest references to the preparation of woodwind instruments are to
the soaking of the bore in water prior to playing. I'm not sure that any
significant reference was made to oiling prior to the 18th century.

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]