Who's who?

Hello - in response to the posting received this weekend...

I am one of the 90% who hasn't been writing, but certainly reading with
interest. In this part of England, we're blessed with an unusually large
number of instrument makers (bearing in mind the tiny population of this
county) who seem to enjoy their forays into making copies of authentic
instruments.

At least two very high quality violin makers live within ten miles of my
home, and a little further away, in the North of Herefordshire close to
the borders of the Radnorshire Forest, live several other early
instrument makers... you name it, they'll fake it.

On second thoughts, there *must* be a better way of saying that.

I'm also in contact with Alec Cobbe of The Cobbe Foundation: they're
based at Hatchlands Park in Surrey where they maintain a huge collection
of early to Romantic keyboard instruments, very often as used by famous
composers themselves. With them, I've just produced the first recording
of Elgar's music played on his own 1844 Broadwood box piano which used
to be in his little summer-house at Storridge near Malvern.

In fact, as that instrument's restoration deserves a posting all of its
own... watch this space. CD out in the Autumn, by the way. NO, I don't
get royalties!
--

| John Warburton                        | warburton@bbcradio.demon.co.uk    |

| Malvern, Worcestershire, England.     | Tel: 01-684 892828 / 0973 215757  |

| Producer, Music & Arts,               | Fax: 01-684 893900                |

| BBC Hereford & Worcester, 104FM       | From the heart of Elgar country   |

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]