[Table of Contents] [Search]

Re: [frameconnews] Rejected Frames

Hi Stephen

Our framing jobs are inspected a number of times before the client takes
possession, and are clear-wrapped while waiting for pick-up.  Therefore, the
likelihood of the frame leaving my studio in a damaged condition is next to
non-existent.  If a frame is returned with the complaint that it is damaged,
I can pretty well be assured that the damage was done outside of our studio
. . . which leads to the question: "How would I handle that new problem?"

Although this is not a commonly occurring scenario, in fact, it is a rare
occurrence, it is a scenario that we have experienced enough times, to
warrant a studio policy - a policy which is based upon marketing, rather than
one based upon financial logic.

Most of my customers have become long-term clients, and all of my customers
are referrals. I perceive my customers as having a comfort level which would
facilitate them being very up front with me. They would tell me that they
damaged it themselves, and would ask if there could be " . . . something that
you [I] could do?"  My answer, of course, is "Yes!"

It has been my policy to repair or replace at no charge because a/ it is a
very rare occurrence,  b/ the client was honest about the damage, c/ the
no-charge repair generates goodwill, and  d/ goodwill is good business.

It is my practice to salvage what materials I can for the re-frame.  All
frames deemed, for any reason, to be "discards", are collected over time,
bundled up, and donated to a favourite charity for their own fundraising
events. Frames that are deemed to be lost to Mankind forever, however, are
cut into kindling.

It would be a most unusual event for one of my clients to receive a defective
frame.  If the frame is bought-in assembled, it is inspected upon being
received.  Frames are checked for: correct moulding number, correct size,
intact finish, squareness, flatness, badly or excessively packed corners, bad
mitres, and splits.  If the frame is found to be defective, it is returned.
Frames that we assemble ourselves are inspected similarly.

Each frame is continually inspected as it passes through one framing
operation to the next.  Finished projects receive a final cleaning, a final
inspection and are clear-wrapped while shelved waiting for customer pick-up.

I hope that this reply has been helpful.

Orton