[Table of Contents] [Search]

Re: [frameconnews] Hockey Puck

Jennifer Benedict:

You sould avoid putting the photograph and the hockey puck together in a sealed
container, or even in close proximity to each in an unsealed container, because
hockey pucks are made of sulfur vulcanized rubber.  The rubber may emit large
amounts of sulfur gases like hydrogen sulfide that will cause severe damage to
the silver in the image of photograph.

If these two objects must be in the same frame then they should be in mutually
exclusive compartments that prevent air exchange between each other.  Preferably
the compartment with the puck should be unsealed so that natural ventilation
will allow the degradation gases to escape to the atmosphere and dissipate.  The
photograph might benefit from some sort of special mounting designed for
photograph conservation.

R. Scott Williams
Canadian Conservation Institute
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0M5

Visit the CCI Web site at http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca

Help - Please!
A customer has brought in and asked me to frame an autographed
photograph (no problem) and an NHL hockey puck, which I will do in a
shadow box (together)  I do not want to permanently affix the puck to
the mounting board for two reasons:- 1)conservation framing  2)there
is an NHL Logo on the back of the puck.  I am unable to find clear
acrylic holders to fit the puck.  Does anyone have any ideas as to
how I might mount this puck?
Thank you in anticipation!

Jennifer Benedict
Benedict Art & Framing