[Table of Contents] [Search]

Re: [frameconnews] Framing of vellum will

Dear Mary Evans,

I have recently carried out a similar job.  I would advise that this work should be ideally be carried out by a qualified manuscripts/archive conservator.  If you prefer not to recommend this to your client, I have a few suggestions/hints for you.

The ' 6" diameter carved wooden seal ' may be made from wax and resin; historic seals can be a variety of colours including brown.  Patterns within the seal can even look like wood grain!  The seal may be rather more delicate than wood, so be extra careful.

For the three layers problem, the solution I adopted was to leave the top two vellum sheets rolled and only show the lowermost (the lowermost was actually where the document started).  The two rolled sheets were held in a neat roll (not too tight) with four flat Perspex rings.  The rings had to have a small piece taken out to allow them to slide over the ends of the roll.  A good Perspex supplier should be able to make suitable rings for you.  The rings will need to be polished for display.

The seal was held in place with further Perspex fittings of a suitable design with 'Plastazote' padding added where in contact with the seal.

Of course, the frame needs to be even deeper than the 1" you mention, to accomodate the full thickness of the rolled parchment plus Perspex and the thick backboard with its well to hold the seal.  I used spacers made from several layers of acid-free board pasted together with a starch paste.  Try to avoid wood, even sealed as you suggest, if at all possible.  Liquid sealants can leave tiny holes through which acidic vapours can escape the wood.  The spacers need not be stuck to the glass, you can adhere them to the inside of the frame.

I would not put the edges of the vellum under your rebate to prevent it moving.  Vellum responds strongly to changes in humidity.  Two possible outcomes of trapping the vellum in this way are the vellum pulling free or, if it cannot do this, splitting.  A number of other methods of keeping the vellum flattish, while also free to move are possible.  Loops of polyester passing around the parchment and backboard would be simplest.

As you suggest, you could persuade the customer he doesn't want it framed at all.  Your idea of clear glass weights at strategic points with museum board on the base would be OK.

I hope this is useful.

Nicholas Burnett