[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Framing of vellum will

I would be interested in suggestions for help with this framing project.

This 400 year old will has recently been kept in a display cabinet, but was probably previously rolled up for most of its life and was in quite a tight roll when it came in.   The customer had found it unsatisfactory in the display cabinet as it kept curling up and he thought maybe it could be framed.     The vellum is still quite supple - I have had it under boards and weights for about 3 months, and it has relaxed significantly and should lie reasonably flat when framed.   There is a 6" diameter carved wooden seal attached by cord to the bottom which I am thinking of sinking through mountboard into foamcore underneath.   I have done this previously and it worked, but I am open to other ideas.
My main uncertainty is spacing the vellum from the glass.    The problem is that it comes in 3 layers, all placed together at the bottom edge, turned up 3" and fixed with cord.   The underneath sheet (27" x 36") could go into the rebate of the frame with spacers top and sides.   The middle sheet is the same width (36") but only reaches 18" from the bottom.   This could also go into the frame rebate at the sides, but obviously not at the top.   However the top sheet is 24" wide (sits centrally) and 24" from the bottom.  The top edge of the middle sheet is sitting quite flat under the top sheet at the moment, but might it try to bounce back when the boards are permanently off and strain against the top sheet?    (It could have a spacer for the 6" each side of the top sheet.)    The upper edge and sides of the top sheet would need to be spaced from the glass with a deep spacer (probably about an inch to allow sufficient room for the seal and double turned up bottom edge which doesn't sit completely flat).    Does anyone have recommendations on what to use for spacers?    So far I've ruled out plastic (too modern and not in keeping), and foamcore (the centre will eventually deteriorate) -  would wood be OK if it was really well sealed and is acrylic paint a sufficient sealer?   Also, presumably the spacers would have to be stuck to the glass, which would leave unsightly splodges of glue.   My only solution to this so far is to cover the outer side of the  glass with tape over the spacer and place a second sheet on top - any better ideas?

Or would it be better (for the preservation of the will and for my sanity!) to persuade the customer he doesn't want it framed at all.   It is now sitting much flatter and I think would lie in a horizontal display cabinet lined with museum cotton board or material.    Would clear glass weights at strategic points (there are glass making companies locally who would probably make to a specified weight) with museum board on the base be satisfactory to keep it flat?    Also it could have a light protective cover to be pulled back for viewing, which would presumably be better than a frame with UV filtrating glass.    It needs to survive for the next 400 years!

Mary Evans
Applegarth Framing
Repton, Derbyshire, UK