[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Cleaning Old Moulding

An old gold moulding needs to be cleaned of years of nicotine.  My
customer has already used "soap and water".  Is there any other product
that can be used on wood mouldings?  I have the Gainsborough catalog,
but the materials listed are for cleaning oil paintings.  Can the same
products be used on wood, or is there a household cleaner that would
do?  Murphy Soap was suggested, but that is a water product and I am
unsure whether to use that on wood.  The frame is very ornate, and does
not appear to be gold leafed.  I'd be grateful for any information, as
at the moment I do not plan to become a restorer and would rather not
invest in the fine Gainsborough materials.

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=frameconnews&m=1