[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Re: Linen mounting posters

The problem with linen is that it is inherently acidic. When I line
posters, I use a strong Japanese paper and wheat paste. In a nutshell, the
method I use is:

1.     cut a piece of Japanese paper larger than the poster
2.     lay the poster face down on a formica counter or a piece of glass
3.     dampen the poster (spray it with water until it is pretty wet)
4.     brush thin wheat paste over the surface of the Japanese paper
5.     lay the Japanese paper, paste side down, on the poster
6.     use a stiff bristle brush such as a stenciling brush ( I use a
roofer's brush) to lightly tap
        the Japanese paper into the poster
7.     allow to dry (overnight is preferable)
8.     trim the poster out of the center of the Japanese paper

If you choose to use linen, the method is pretty much the same. If you have
more questions, I'm sure I have more information around here somewhere to
which I could refer you.

Christopher McAfee
Conservation
Harold B. Lee Library