[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Re: Fwd: Alkaline reserve, what is it?

I Found this reply from Ellen McCrady very interesting and informative as I
had always used either term to mean the same thing. George Kelly's buffer
has been used by some of us in a different way. I have used alkaline buffer
to mean buffered against acidity in the way railway engine buffers work to
absorb impact. When I set up Atlantis France in 1985 to sell acid free
boards to the French market we translated Buffer into Tampon which is the
French for railway engine buffer. This term is still used by them to mean a
reserve amount of alkaline over and above what is needed to ensure the
neutral pH of the paper and to act as a Buffer, ie; absorbing the impact of
acids which would otherwise attack the paper fibres.

Stuart Welch ( formally: Atlantis Paper Company Ltd )
Now Managing Director:
Conservation By Design Limited
Timecare Works
5 Singer Way