Subject: Playing instruments from collection

Playing instruments from collection

From: Renita Ryan <renita.ryan<-at->
Date: Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Our Museum is considering playing a number of its collection
didgeridoos in an exhibition dedicated to the instrument.

Is anyone willing to share experiences of undertaking a similar
event?  What was considered, how the decision to play or not play a
collection instrument was arrived at, how risks were managed, and
how the event was captured (recorded/documented)?

We have been advised that in order to achieve a good sound the
didgeridoos must be humidified.  Ordinarily this would involve
soaking in water.   The Museum is wondering if there is a middle
ground where the humidity may be raised without soaking, or causing
damage to the instruments.  Can anybody comment on this?

Renita Ryan
Principal Conservator
Objects
Artlab Australia