Subject: Training program on low-cost methods for art examination

Training program on low-cost methods for art examination

From: Antonino Cosentino <antoninocose<-at->
Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Training on Low-cost methods for Art Examination
Cultural Heritage Science Open Source (CHSOS)
Costa Rica
December 13-15, 2016

We are offering a Training program on low-cost methods for Art
Examination, hosted at Costa Rica University for December 13-15
2016. Our Training course is aimed to art and archaeology
professionals that want to add low-cost technical examination tools
to their skills.

Please, find all info at

    <URL:http://chsopensource.org/training-december-13-15-2016/>

Early bird fee deadline: September 30, 2016

As they say in Costa Rico, Pura vida!

Program

Day 1
Technical Photography

    Technical Photography represents a collection of broadband
    spectral images realized with a modified full spectrum digital
    camera and different lighting sources and filters.  We will
    practice hands-on shooting and editing for these technical
    photos:

        VIS, Visible
        RAK, Raking light Photography
        UVF, Ultraviolet Fluorescence Photography
        UVR, Ultraviolet Reflected Photography
        IR, Infrared Photography
        IRT, Infrared Transmitted Photography
        IRF, Infrared Fluorescence Photography
        IRFC, Infrared False Color Photography

Day 2
Panoramic Infrared Reflectography, Reflectance Spectroscopy

    Reflectance Transformation Imaging

    Infrared Reflectography allows to identify underdrawing and
    pentimenti.  We coupled it with the panoramic method in order to
    acquire infrared reflectograms with a fast and lightweight set
    up.

    Reflectance Spectroscopy (RS) shows, for each wavelength, the
    ratio between the intensity of the reflected light and the
    incident light, measured with respect to a standard white
    reference (reflectance). Reflectance spectra provide information
    useful for the identification of pigments.

    Reflectance Transformation Imaging (RTI) is a computational
    photographic technique and it is used in a number of fields
    related to art examination and documentation because it provides
    a virtual and enhanced visualization of an object's surface.

Day 3
Multispectral Imaging

    Multispectral Imaging (MSI) is used to map and tentatively
    identify pigments and in paints on works of art.  It is also
    useful to visually enhance old and faded documents.  Thanks to
    the first crowdfunded research in art conservation science,
    CHSOS has developed an MSI system using 18 bandpass filter and a
    full spectrum digital camera that covers the 400-920 nm spectral
    range.

    Shooting spectral images

    Splitting spectral images into RGB channels

    Registering spectral images

    Calibrating spectral images

    Spectra reconstruction and mapping

For info contact: