Subject: Lifting pastedown

Lifting pastedown

From: Marie-Alix de Cools <m.alixdecools<-at->
Date: Wednesday, August 3, 2016
I am a student on a work placement in Book Conservation at the V&A
museum currently working on a 16th century binding which has 10mm
thick wooden boards, one of which has split in half lengthways.  In
order to proceed with the conservation it will be necessary to lift
the board paper which has inscriptions written in iron gall ink.  I
am looking for advice on the best method of lifting the board paper,
probably adhered with a protein based adhesive, without causing
damage to the iron gall ink.

I have read some articles about iron gall but have been unable to
find reference to a similar case.  If someone has experience of
dealing with this type of problem or can give me some advice I would
be very grateful.

Marie-Alix de Cools

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 6, 2016