Subject: Treating wood for use in exhibition spaces

Treating wood for use in exhibition spaces

From: Meghan Smith <smeghan<-at->
Date: Monday, August 1, 2016
We are in the midst of redesigning our permanent gallery spaces, and
one of the areas includes a recreation of a settler cabin.  Most of
the structure will be fabricated out of fiberglass, but the floor
and loft boards will be actual wood.  From a conservation
standpoint, I am leery of permanently installing wood without
treating or sealing it somehow.  Of course it will be kiln-dried
wood, but in the event that wood-boring insects find their way into
the gallery, I'd like to put up some kind of barrier to prevent an
infestation.  Otherwise, I'm envisioning myself ripping up
floorboards and carting them off to the freezer.

I've checked around on the Internet and haven't found anything
useful.  What have you guys done in your own galleries?  Should I
just hit the hardware store and get some stain and/or sealant, or is
there something I'm totally overlooking?

Meghan E. Smith
Conservation Lab Manager
Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites
650 W. Washington St.