Subject: Vinyl records

Vinyl records

From: Sjoukje van der Laan <sjoukje<-at->
Date: Thursday, August 4, 2016
I am looking for information and case studies of (contemporary)
artworks made from or containing (broken) pieces of vinyl records.
I'm currently developing a treatment proposal for one so-called
"Icons", artwork made by the French-American artist Mr. Brainwash
(Thierry Guetta).  The artwork is made out of broken pieces of LP
vinyl albums, which are assembled into a portrait of a musician.
Between 2011 and 2013, Mr. Brainwash made several of the "Icons",
using pieces of vinyl material glued on canvas.

My client noticed changes in the visual appearance of the artwork,
especially over the last couple of months.  Gaps between the vinyl
pieces seem to be widened and the pieces might be shifted or warped.
However, after examination, the glue that the artist used to adhere
the vinyl pieces looks stable and the individual pieces feel
fixated.  Can it be that the material reacted on changes in
temperature and/or relative humidity?  Does someone have experience
with the preservation or conservation of LP vinyl?  Or, more
specifically, has anyone over had to deal with artwork made by Mr.
Brainwash?

Sjoukje van der Laan
Conservator Contemporary Art
Toronto Art Restoration