Subject: Milling mannequins with Computer Numeric Control (CNC)

Milling mannequins with Computer Numeric Control (CNC)

From: Sarah Clayton <sarah.clayton<-at->
Date: Sunday, July 31, 2016
CNC Milling of Mannequins

The Australian War Memorial currently uses Ethafoam 220 to make
custom intersecting silhouette mannequins.  Whilst these mannequins
meet our needs very well, they are time consuming to construct and
we have increasing pressure to pose our figures.  We are looking to
utilise some better technologies.  We have recently gained access to
a Computer Numeric Control (CNC) Milling machine and we are looking
into the possibilities of using it to cut mannequins.  We have a few
questions:

We have found that the CNC machine cuts the Ethafoam with quite a
nap as the bubbles get pulled in the blade.  Can anyone recommend
the best grade or type of foam for use with this type of cutter?

Can anyone recommend an AutoCAD Inventor compatible program, or a
full scale digital 3D model of a human, for use as basic body
pattern that can be easily adjusted for individual tailored
costumes/uniform?  If so, what have been to pros and cons?

Thank you

Sarah Clayton
Senior Conservator, Textile, Collection Services
+61 2 6243 4420
Mobile: +61 418 300 908
Australian War Memorial
GPO Box 345