Subject: Handling documents after restoration from flood

Handling documents after restoration from flood

From: Peggy W. Norris <peggywnorris<-at->
Date: Monday, July 18, 2016
Bergen County (NJ) Historical Society has documents that were
flooded in 2012 and then freeze-dried and irradiated by Belfor and
returned to us.  We are now examining and processing those
documents.

The paper in many cases is in good condition.  Are there long-term
negative effects from either the freeze-drying or the irradiation?

Several us are having allergic reaction to something.  The documents
are not particularly dusty/dirty.  Although there was significant
mold on some items, it does appear to be dead--there is no musty
smell.

Is there anything about the either freeze-drying or irradiation that
would increase the risk of allergens?  Are there any other issues
with freeze-dried, irradiated documents that we should be aware of?

Thank you,

Peggy W. Norris

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 23, 2016