Subject: Moving library collections during installation of fire equipment

Moving library collections during installation of fire equipment

From: Jennifer Jarvis <jjarvis9<-at->
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Johns Hopkins University is currently in the final planning stages
of installing a comprehensive fire detection and water-based
suppression system at the Evergreen Museum and Library, which houses
the John W. Garrett Library.  The library contains a large number of
early printed books, including one of the largest incunabula
collections in the country, and a smaller collection of illuminated
manuscripts, among other treasures.  Being an historic house museum,
the collections are on open shelves, and are, for the most part, not
boxed.  We would be very grateful if any of you have gone through
similar renovations, if you could share your experiences, especially
regarding the decision to move collections or protect them in-situ.

At the moment, we are considering moving up to 8,000 volumes.  We
want to keep an open mind, but are encountering some early
incredulity from some of the project team leaders about the prospect
of moving the collection.  It would be extremely helpful to have
some examples to draw on as we navigate this process, or thoughts on
how we should make this decision.

Jennifer Jarvis
Book Conservator
Department of Conservation and Preservation
Sheridan Libraries and Museums
Johns Hopkins University
3400 North Charles St.
Baltimore MD 21218