Subject: Fibres adhered to adhesive dots on artwork

Fibres adhered to adhesive dots on artwork

From: Alayne Alvis <alayne.alvis<-at->
Date: Thursday, July 21, 2016
A contemporary artwork in our collection incorporates numerous dots
of colourless adhesive in the work.  It has been described as
"conservation adhesive" and because of its rather tacky character, I
feel it may be Rhoplex N-580.

Some cellulose fibres have been very firmly pressed into the surface
of some of these dots.  I would like to investigate how best these
can be released from the surface.  I'm yet to find many references
in this area apart from a post in the DistList which mentioned: "You
can then stick something porous, like paper or cloth, to it and
release it later using any mild solvent (alkanes, Freon TF,etc.),
leaving the adhesive on the substrate" (John Burke, Jan 5, 2005).

As the dots form part of the artwork, any dissolution/ loss of the
adhesive would not be acceptable.

Alayne ALvis
Conservator
Sydney University Museums