Subject: Insect damage to tempera painting

Insect damage to tempera painting

From: Mary-Lou Florian <mflorian<-at->
Date: Monday, July 4, 2016
Steven Prins <sprins1102<-at->aol<.>com> writes

>I am writing because I have been presented with two contemporary
>tempera paintings (Sennelier paints and medium) on clayboard panels
>that present what appears to be insect damage on the painted
>surface. ...

It is not unusual to find either Book Lice (Psocids) or Silverfish
damage on a protein based tempera.  Temper may contain a gelatinous
substance or eggy yolk both contain proteins.  If the object is
stored close to the floor where it is dark it is likely caused by
one or both of the insects.

Mary-Lou Florian Research Associate
Royal BC Museum

Fax: 306-778-4818