Subject: Gloves for use with organic solvents

Gloves for use with organic solvents

From: Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-at->
Date: Saturday, June 25, 2016
Eleni Loizides <eleni.loizidou<-at->cytanet<.>com<.>cy>

>I am looking for disposable gloves suitable for use when handling
>acetone and other solvents such as ethanol and toluene.  A recent
>search has shown that disposable nitrile and latex gloves are not
>recommended for use with acetone and toluene whilst some types of
>gloves are only recommended for splash protection with ethanol, but
>this is the lowest level of protection according to European
>Standards and not adequate for our needs.  This is the case for
>several glove brands.

Thin examining gloves of any type of rubber or plastic material are
not meant to be used with solvents.  Kimberly-Clark's product
information says that they should be discarded as soon as there is
even an accidental splash.   And the only reason that some
manufacturers say it's OK to use these thin gloves with alcohol is
that the amount that can be skin absorbed after penetration is not a
significant health hazard.

For use with solvents, gloves must be thicker than examining gloves.
In addition, there isn't one type of glove that is good for all
solvents.  It might be necessary to have more than one type of
glove.

But finding the right gloves is simple.  You only need to go to the
website of the manufacturer of the gloves and search for their
"permeation" data.  Be careful not to accept "degradation" data
which is simply the time at which the glove will begin to fall
apart.  You also don't want data which only rates gloves for each
solvent with words like "excellent," "fair" or "poor."

Instead you want a real permeation chart that lists break though
times in minutes from 0 to 480 minutes (8 hours) for a great variety
of solvents.  Every good manufacturer (not distributor) has this
data.

Good luck,

Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A.
Industrial Hygienist
President:  Arts, Crafts and Theater Safety, Inc.
Safety Officer: Local USA829, IATSE
181 Thompson St., #23
New York NY 10012

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 2, 2016