Subject: Adhesive on mounted interior textiles

Adhesive on mounted interior textiles

From: Jefta Lammens <jeftalammens<-at->
Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2016
Is there anyone who has experience with using adhesives on interior
textiles, more precisely wall hangings?

I am working on a set of 18th century printed cottons, mounted on
frames.  These wall hangings are still fully attached to the frame
and some seams have torn open.  The aim would be to fixate these
loose parts, but due to the fragile state sewing is not possible.
I'm looking into using adhesive, but have not found any similar
cases to compare.  The wall hangings will be placed in a room that
will be used as an office, thus will be heated.  The climate is also
not very stable.  I have done some tests with a Lascaux 498 HV film,
which works very well and is easy to position and to reactivate.

However, the effect of the unstable climate still concerns me.  Any
thoughts or similar cases would be very welcome.

Jefta Lammens Conservation
August van Lokerenstraat 82
9050 Ghent

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 25, 2016