Subject: Oddy tests of unbleached cotton calico

Oddy tests of unbleached cotton calico

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-at->
Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2016
I have recently done a series of Oddy tests on a variety of proposed
display materials.  While at it, we decided to test the unbleached
cotton sheeting we use for storage covers and mounts.  Of all the
tested fabrics, this one came out with the worst results, with some
white fuzziness on the lead coupon, and a slightly darker colour to
the copper coupon.  Unbleached cotton is used in museums around the
world for storage, so this surprised us.  Has anyone else Oddy
tested their unbleached cotton?  If so what were your results?  Is
this some problem with our supplier, were the other tests just so
good in comparison that they make the cotton look bad, or do I have
some contamination in my testing process?  I look forward to your
feedback.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum