Subject: Oil painting damaged by water

Oil painting damaged by water

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-at->
Date: Friday, May 13, 2016
Jean D. Portell <jeandp<-at->aol<.>com> writes

>Various methods that were used to treat art works damaged by the
>historic Arno flood are described in the book, Conservation Legacies
>of the Florence Flood of 1966: Proceedings of the Symposium
>Commemorating the 40th Anniversary, edited by Helen Spande (London:
>Archetype, 2009).  A review of the book was published in Studies in
>Conservation, Vol. 57, No. 3 (2012).

I had looked at this book when it first came out and was
disappointed that it had no treatment reports or detailed analysis
of treatments applied at the time of the recovery from the flood or
at any time after.  It is simply an overview.

What is needed is a comprehensive report on treatments and a
retrospective analysis of success of treatments.  I have spoken to
some people who were there and were engaged in facing paintings and
the problem that Andrea Rothe brings up on the inability to remove
them is of interest.  But scientific tests and treatment reports
should be made available for research purposes.  If anyone has any
of these I would be most interested in seeing them.

Niccolo Caldararo, Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology
San Francisco State University

and