Subject: Vinegar in a humidifier

Vinegar in a humidifier

From: Missy Sanares-Reyes <missycxr<-at->
Date: Monday, May 2, 2016
A collector asked me to forward the following question please.  I
hope we can help him.

Vinegar in a humidifier with a painting

Can you help me with this technical question.

    Because of my daughter's severe nosebleed that causes her to end
    up in the ER and confined in the hospital, we have been forced
    to use a vaporizer or humidifier make sure the air has enough
    moisture or humidity.  Used to be, the humidifiers available
    were hot humidifiers where a heater heats up the water and
    causes the water to steam up.

    Now they have want they call as cool vaporizers or humidifier
    where water is ultrasonically caused to vaporize.  The problem
    with this method is that the water in the reservoir of the unit
    and the parts of the equipment that is always wet tends to get a
    buildup of bacteria and fungus.  This could cause the room being
    vaporized to have bacteria and fungus which is not good for
    person's health.  In fact it could cause respiratory sickness
    and even pneumonia.

    So either one washes the equipment everyday and dries the parts
    before re-using the equipment.  Some people in the USA recommend
    to put vinegar in the water.  For every gallon in the reservoir
    they recommend 170 ml or cc of vinegar.  This represents
    5%'vinegar solution by volume.  This will kill 99%'of bacteria
    and fungus.

    My worry is that I have paintings in the room.  I keep the room
    at no higher than 45% moisture to prevent the growth of mold and
    bacteria in the room.  However, my question is would the
    moisture laden with 5% vinegar solution which is acidic harm my
    oil painting, pastel, acrylic or watercolor paintings.  Could
    you ask your colleagues or professors where you took up
    preservation and conservation this matter.

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 10, 2016