Subject: Storing objects in sealed plastic bags

Storing objects in sealed plastic bags

From: Hilary Kaplan <hilary.kaplan<-at->
Date: Monday, April 25, 2016
Karen Potje <kpotje<-at->cca<.>qc<.>ca> writes

>Eliza McKenna <eliza.mckenna<-at->awm<.>gov<.>au> writes
>
>>I am seeking some advice on storing collection in polyethylene bags.
>>We have recently had a clothes moth infestation and had to freeze
>>our entire textiles store. ...
>
>I too have been wondering about storing objects in sealed plastic
>bags--in our case,  objects that are contaminated by mould.
>Occasionally we may acquire a book or document that is so mouldy
>that we feel that, even after surface cleaning, we would not want
>people to consult it.  These objects will be sealed in ziplock bags
>until we can digitize and then deaccession them.  ...

Sealing moldy items in plastic bags is probably not the best way to
go.  It will exacerbate the situation because you are creating a
micro-environment in the bag in which the mold can flourish.  You
would probably be better off placing items waiting to be treated in
a paper box or similar material that will not eliminate all air.
Freezing will not kill the mold, but will buy you time to address
the situation.  Putting clean objects into stable plastic bags can
be helpful before an outbreak, but not so helpful after the fact
unless you can be assured that all traces of mold have be removed.
That is very hard for porous materials.  It is all about preventing
the mold in the first place though clean, environmentally stable
conditions, but that is easy to say, not always so easy to
implement.

Hilary

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 10, 2016