Subject: Storing objects in sealed plastic bags

Storing objects in sealed plastic bags

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-at->
Date: Monday, April 18, 2016
Eliza McKenna <eliza.mckenna<-at->awm<.>gov<.>au> writes

>I am seeking some advice on storing collection in polyethylene bags.
>We have recently had a clothes moth infestation and had to freeze
>our entire textiles store. ...
>...  For items that are less vulnerable to off-gassing, such
>as textiles, we are interested to see if we can keep these stored in
>plastic for as long as possible, even permanently. ...

I too have been wondering about storing objects in sealed plastic
bags--in our case,  objects that are contaminated by mould.
Occasionally we may acquire a book or document that is so mouldy
that we feel that, even after surface cleaning, we would not want
people to consult it.  These objects will be sealed in ziplock bags
until we can digitize and then deaccession them.  Since that is a
temporary storage situation, I'm not worried about it.  But what
about objects that were not so heavily mould contaminated?

Still, after surface cleaning we still consider them contaminated
and we restrict access.  (Objects must be handled in fume hood,
wearing nitrile gloves.)  We would like to isolate them from other
collections materials and protect staff from potential health
problems by storing such objects in sealed bags that are labelled
with the information about safe handling.  What do other
conservators think about this practice?  We have good climate
control here.

Karen Potje
Chef, Conservation/Restauration
Head, Conservation/Preservation