Subject: Storing objects in sealed plastic bags

Storing objects in sealed plastic bags

From: Rachel Dessaints <rachel.dessaints<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2016
Eliza McKenna <eliza.mckenna<-at->awm<.>gov<.>au> writes

>I am seeking some advice on storing collection in polyethylene bags.
>We have recently had a clothes moth infestation and had to freeze
>our entire textiles store. ...
>...  For items that are less vulnerable to off-gassing, such
>as textiles, we are interested to see if we can keep these stored in
>plastic for as long as possible, even permanently. ...

The big problem I foresee with this, even if the plastic bags are of
the highest quality possible, is that the textiles are probably
folded on themselves and 'squished' inside the bags.  This is
probably one of the greatest causes of textile deterioration (not
the plastic, but the improper supporting of the textiles),
especially for silks.  The textiles will look fine in the bags, and
the deterioration will more than likely go unnoticed for a very long
time, but the creases and folds will have become rips and tears and
the pieces will be in shreds.

Rachel Dessaints
Textiles conservator
Centre de conservation du Quebec
Ministere de la Culture et des Communications
1825 rue Semple
Quebec G1N 4B7
418-643-7001 ext 315

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 16, 2016