Subject: Surface deposits on wall paintings

Surface deposits on wall paintings

From: Sarah Jane Fox <sjane.fox<-at->
Date: Friday, April 1, 2016
I am an MA student in the conservation of wall paintings at the
Courtauld Institute in London.  My dissertation is on Surface
deposits: Investigating the risks posed and suitability of
monitoring techniques and control measures.  As part of my research,
I am interviewing conservation professionals to assess what current
conservation practice is with regard to monitoring surface deposits
on wall paintings.  The deposits I am considering range from dust,
to bat and bird excreta, spider silk, candle wax, graffiti, among
others.  I would very much appreciate any feedback from conservators
on the following 5 questions:

For wall paintings at the cultural heritage sites, do you either
record or monitor surface deposits?

If so, what kinds of surface deposits do you find?

What methods do you use for recording or monitoring?  For example,
imaging [raking light, macro], graphic documentation, visual
glossary, Dustbugs, etc.

How do you think recording/monitoring surface deposits has affected
the subsequent treatments you undertake?

Have you either implemented or suggested methods of control of
surface deposition at your sites?

Sarah-Jane Fox
MA student, Conservation of Wall Paintings
Courtauld Institute of Art
London UK

                   Distributed: Friday, April 8, 2016