Subject: Gantry design for imaging

Gantry design for imaging

From: Mark Giles MacKenzie <mark.mackenzie<-at->
Date: Monday, March 21, 2016
I am about to undertake the multi-spectral imaging of two very large
paintings on hide.  The larger of the two pieces is approximately 4
feet x 18 feet.  It will be imaged flat on a table surface.

I am designing a travelling gantry to carry the camera and light
package.  This gantry will travel in all three axes: x, y, and z.
If I can make this work using modified commercial equipment the
travel in all three axes will be numerically controlled via
computer.  I believe this to be necessary due to the width of the
painting making impossible to have manual access and control of the
camera/light package and especially so for focussing.

I am looking for input from those who have undertaken similar
projects.  And yes I proceed with some trepidation but proceed I
must.

Mark MacKenzie
Chief Conservator
Director, Museums of New Mexico-Conservation
Unit of Museum Resources Division, D.C.A.
725 Camino Lejo
Santa Fe NM 87505
Museum Hill Lab:  505-476-1242
Downtown Lab: 476-5022