Subject: Smoke machines

Smoke machines

From: Helle Strehle <hs<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-at->cs<.>com> writes

>Perks Kate <kate.perks<-at->sciencemuseum<.>ac<.>uk> writes
>
>>I am looking in to smoke / haze machines and whether they are
>>appropriate for a temporary exhibition (6 months to a year) in a
>>museum space ...
>
>I would worry more about exposing museum-goers.
>I'm also a theatrical union safety rep and there are standards in
>our industry for the use of fog and smoke machines that require
>renting a particle counter to insure that actors are not exposed
>over the ANSI standard peak limits for the various chemicals.  In
>addition there are no limits established for children. ...

Thank you, Monona Rossol, for your thorough information on Cons
DistList about fogs, smokes and hazes, now and back in 2012.  Our
exhibition team is contemplating a product which they claim "leave
no film on objects".  The product in question is called MDG Neutral
Fluid and is served by MDG Fog Generators.  The Safety Sheet does
not inform about the content, but gives the numbers EF 232-455-8 and
CAS 8042-47-5.  To my knowledge, this could fit on paraffin oil?
Concerned about people and museum objects: Do we have an opinion
about this (or similar) products?  Thanks in advance,

Helle Strehle
Conservator M.Sc.
Dept. of Archaeological Science and Conservation
Moesgaard Museum
Moesgaard Alle 20
DK-8270 Hoejbjerg
Denmark