Subject: Letraset dry transfer media

Letraset dry transfer media

From: Kathrine Segel <kathrine.segel<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016
J. Claire Dean <jclairedean<-at->gmail<.>com> writes

>I am looking for information on the stabilization and consolidation
>of dry-transfer media, often referred to by the trade name
>"Letraset".  I am working on a mixed media object from the 1940s
>that includes paper labels carrying dry-media annotations--the
>dry-media is friable and lifting.

At the National Gallery of Denmark we are currently working on a
similar mixed media object from 1980 containing Letraset
dry-transfer lettering.  Our characters shows two types of
deterioration; delamination and cracking.  We have with great
success consolidated the material with a solution of 9% Tylose in
deionized water.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 29, 2016