Subject: Research on paintings created with paint applied directly with the tube

Research on paintings created with paint applied directly with the tube

From: Agata Graczyk <agata.graczyk.fr<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2016
    **** Moderator's comments: In Conservation DistList Instance:
    29:39 Wednesday, February 24, 2016, there was an incorrect
    version of this query, due to editorial misunderstanding.  The
    correct text is below.

Being currently a last year student in paintings conservation at the
Institut national du patrimoine in Paris <URL:http://www.inp.fr/en>,
I am working on my thesis dedicated to an oil painting from 1910 (La
Creole au perroquet (the Creole with a parrot) by Alexis
Merodack-Jeaneau (1873-1919), Angers, museum of Fine Arts).  This
artwork has been painted with paint applied directly with the tube
onto the canvas and the impastos resulting from this specific
implementation are damaged in a specific manner (loss of adhesion,
underboundness, water sensitiveness of some of the colours).

I am trying to complete a not yet exhaustive list of painters who
have worked the same way (Van Gogh, Karel Appel, Victor Brauner,
J.P. Riopelle, Georges Mathieu), especially around 1910, in order to
help to complete the diagnosis putting forward the fact that those
deteriorations could be, among other causes, induced by the
implementation and the materials used (additives added to tubes of
paint).  If you have already worked or are aware of this kind of
paintings, please let me know, specifying names of
artist/painting--and of course pictures are more than welcome. Thank
you,

Agata Graczyk
Paintings conservation student,
Institut national du patrimoine