Subject: Mercury

Mercury

From: Anne Kingery-Schwartz <aekingery<-at->
Date: Monday, February 29, 2016
Richard A. Baker <richard.baker<-at->ncdcr<.>gov> writes

>... we deal with antique
>mirrors that were made with the tin-mercury amalgam process that are
>now breaking down.  I have been trained in dealing with this issue
>including collecting the spilled mercury with special sponges and
>then backing mirrors so that future mercury that breaks down will
>not escape the frame.  But now as I am attempting to resupply my
>inventory of these special sponges I am finding that the EPA has
>restricted their sale in the United States.  Grainger and Fisher
>Scientific both show the sponges on their websites but say that they
>are restricted items and cannot sell them.
>
>My other question regards reporting of mercury spills.  Does your
>museum, facility or school have a form that must be filled out if a
>mercury spill is found? ...

The AIC Health and Safety Committee worked to craft a response to
your question.  Here's our answer:

Thank you for the questions regarding mercury spills.  As follow-up,
we have looked at both Grainger and Fisher website for mercury spill
clean-up materials.  Both sites offer multiple options for small
spill clean-up (links below).  We were able to successfully purchase
the sponges (mentioned in your inquiry) from Grainger.

    Fischer Scientific Spill Clean-up Products
    <URL:https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/catalog/search/products?keyword=mercury+spill&nav>

    Grainger Spill Clean-up Products
    <URL:https://www.grainger.com/category/mercury-spill-control/spill-control-supplies/safety/ecatalog/N-k95?ssf=3&redirect=mercury+spill&searchRedirect=mercury+spill&searchBar=true>

With regard to the disposal question:  Mercury is both a listed and
characteristic waste under RCRA (EPA/Resource Conservation and
Recovery Act).  As such, all waste disposal must follow all
state/federal hazardous waste disposal regulations.  If hazardous
waste is generated in your workplace, your employer should have a
program for the collection, storage and disposal for the waste.  We
suggest you begin by contacting your environmental and safety office
or your building manager who may be able to facilitate the waste
disposal process.

Mercury wastes are also readily recyclable (which is likely a better
option).  An example of a company that provides this service is

    Veolia - mercury recycling
    <URL:http://veolianorthamerica.com/en/our-services/waste-recovery-services/mercury-waste-0>

Again, we suggest you work within your organization to follow their
procedures.

Anne Kingery-Schwartz
Co-Chair AIC Health and Safety Committee

                   Distributed: Sunday, March 6, 2016