Subject: Smoke machines

Smoke machines

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-at->
Date: Monday, February 22, 2016
Perks Kate <kate.perks<-at->sciencemuseum<.>ac<.>uk> writes

>I am looking in to smoke / haze machines and whether they are
>appropriate for a temporary exhibition (6 months to a year) in a
>museum space with objects of mixed media on open display nearby.
>The liquid is glycol in water.  Has anyone experience of using one
>of these and, if so, was there any impact on the objects?

My understanding is that smoke machines are not appropriate in a
museum environment.  They leave a film of glycol droplets on
surfaces, which attracts dirt and dissolves some finishes and
materials.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira
The Domain, Private Bag 92018
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142
New Zealand
+64 9 306 7070 ext 7304

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 24, 2016