Subject: Smoke machines

Smoke machines

From: Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-at->
Date: Sunday, February 21, 2016
Perks Kate <kate.perks<-at->sciencemuseum<.>ac<.>uk> writes

>I am looking in to smoke / haze machines and whether they are
>appropriate for a temporary exhibition (6 months to a year) in a
>museum space with objects of mixed media on open display nearby.
>The liquid is glycol in water.  Has anyone experience of using one
>of these and, if so, was there any impact on the objects?

I would worry more about exposing museum-goers.  I do expert witness
in cases of people alleging serious reactions to exposure to the
chemicals used in these machines.  One of the cases in which I'm
currently retained involves the death of an asthmatic girl exposed
at age 13 in an entertainment venue.

I'm also a theatrical union safety rep and there are standards in
our industry for the use of fog and smoke machines that require
renting a particle counter to insure that actors are not exposed
over the ANSI standard peak limits for the various chemicals.  In
addition there are no limits established for children.  In theater
and film, exposing a minor requires a sign off of a guardian who has
been informed about the potential risks and has been provided with
the safety data sheet on the chemicals.

It's really not better to go with dry ice fog either due to the
effect on air quality from raising CO2 levels.

I'm sending you some documents on these chemicals, the ANSI
standards for their use, and ACTS position that these ANSI standards
are probably not protective enough.

Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A., Industrial Hygienist
President:  Arts, Crafts and Theater Safety, Inc.
Safety Officer: Local USA829, IATSE
181 Thompson St. #23
New York NY 10012

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 24, 2016