Subject: Conservator in Ethiopia sought

Conservator in Ethiopia sought

From: Catherine D'Andrea <adandrea<-at->
Date: Monday, February 8, 2016
Conservator
Eastern Tigrai Archaeological Project (ETAP)

We are seeking a conservator who is interested in working with us in
northern Ethiopia this spring.  Our project is called ETAP (Eastern
Tigrai Archaeological Project) and we have been excavating in
northern Ethiopia for about 10 years.  Our upcoming 2016 season will
be a study season (with no excavation or survey).  We also are
planning to construct 6 museum exhibits 4 of which are display
cabinets containing artefacts, and for these we need a conservator
to prepare and help us select the artefacts.

Our field season is tentatively scheduled for 2 May - 10 June 2016.
It is difficult to predict the amount of time a conservator would
need to spend with us.  By far most of the artefacts are ceramics,
many of which need reconstruction.  Two of my graduate students will
be on hand to assist a conservator (with training in ceramic
reconstruction).  There will be some bone artefacts and perhaps 5 or
6 copper-alloy finds.  We think 4 weeks would be a generous estimate
of the time needed, but that may decrease or increase depending on
an evaluation of the collections.

Obviously I would cover all costs relating to travel, accommodation
and disposable supplies.  Like most archaeological projects we don't
have a huge budget for salaries, but I would certainly work to
provide a conservator with the best salary that I could.

If you are interested please contact Catherine D'Andrea
<adandrea<-at->sfu<.>ca>

A. Catherine D'Andrea, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Archaeology