Subject: Latex glove

Latex glove

From: Carole Dignard <carole.dignard<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2016
We have received a rubber latex prop from a 1960s movie for
treatment.  It is a thick, custom-made, translucent orangey-peach
glove that extends to the elbow, with the latex applied more thickly
than for common latex lab gloves (2 layers of latex can be
discerned) and even more thickly towards the last 6 inches covering
the arm (3 layers).  Analysis has confirmed it is degraded rubber
latex with some clay and other fillers.

The glove has stiffened with its fingers flattened curled inward, is
discoloured (orangy with greyish green spots), and is cracking and
crazing, especially at the flanged arm end where thickly applied.

Aside from preventive measures that could slow its further
degradation, has anyone had success with stabilising fissures and
losses (there are a few small losses of 1 cm2 or less) by applying a
backing?  If so what adhesives have worked successfully?  We have
few fissures 1 mm wide, and a few other cracks that are just about
to break apart and need support.

Has anyone attempted reshaping aged latex rubber?  We've read of
heat or ammonia used for reshaping (Maltby, Susan L. "Rubber: The
Problem That Becomes a Solution" (a CCI treatment) and Allington,
Caroline "The Treatment of Social History Objects Made of Natural
Rubber."  Both in Preprints of Contributions to the Modern Organic
Materials Meeting, SSCR 1988.)

Carole Dignard
Senior Conservator, Objects Laboratory
Canadian Conservation Institute