Subject: Visible storage

Visible storage

From: Dee Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee<-at->
Date: Monday, February 8, 2016
Alicia M. Bjornson <ambjornson<-at->me<.>com> writes

>...  The gist of the
>story is can you turn storage into an exhibition.  Really an
>important discussion for institutions whose bulk of their collection
>are not seen.  I'd be curious to see how insurance and risk
>management view this shift of ideology.  When storage is visible do
>we compromise security or is security improved because objects are
>visible

Traditional visible storage has its plusses and minuses.  If the
objective is to show the "behind the scenes" world of museums there
may be better approaches.  I published a paper discussing visible
storage versus visible collections care a few years ago that may be
of interest to those involved in this discussion.

    Dee Stubbs-Lee
    "Inside Out: A Conservator's Investigation of Museums: Visible
    Storage, and the Interpretation of Conservation"
    in Collections: A Journal for Museum and Archives Professionals,
    volume 5, no 4, fall 2009, Lanham, MD: AltaMira Press, 2010, pp
    265-324

Dee Stubbs-Lee, CAPC, MA
Conservator
New Brunswick Museum/