Subject: Freelance conservators ordering chemicals

Freelance conservators ordering chemicals

From: Sharon Oldale <sa.old<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 2, 2016
I am a freelance conservator based in the UK.  I have recently tried
and failed to order some basic chemicals for my practice from a well
known UK lab supplies company.  I used this company happily many
times while I was an employed conservator in an institution and so
naturally wanted to use them to restock.

My practice is run from a separate studio building behind my home
which shares my home address.  When I attempted to place an order it
was immediately blocked as my address is listed as residential,
which is to be expected.  I was invited to apply to become an
'industrial customer' where I had to supply evidence of my practice
with detailed explanations of what I would be using the chemicals
for.  I filled out their form and spoke to them on the phone
explaining in detail what I do.  Ex-colleagues at a neighboring
Record Office even agreed to take delivery of my orders for me so I
could provide a non residential delivery address.  The only piece of
information I have not been able to provide is a company
registration number.  As I am not a Ltd company but a sole trader, I
am not able to register at Companies House and obtain this number,
however my accountant contacted the company to assure them that I am
a legitimate registered business.  After two frustrating days of
e-mails and phone calls I am still being refused an order.  I have
now tried ordering from another supplier but I am beginning to face
the same problems.

So my question is this, I can't be the only freelance conservator
working as a sole trader from a studio sharing their home address.
I would be very interested to hear how others have got around this
problem.

Sharon Oldale ACR
Sharon Oldale Conservation

                Distributed: Saturday, February 6, 2016