Subject: Burmese tattoo manuscripts

Burmese tattoo manuscripts

From: Stephanie Luerssen <luerss<-at->
Date: Friday, January 22, 2016
The Asia scientist of the museum and I plan a trip to Myanmar.  We
want to do research in Yangon and in Mandalay to Burmese tattoo
manuscripts.  We are interested in art history and painting
techniques research.

In our collection are two manuscripts, one from the late 19th
century which was acquired in the Shan area by a trader, and the
second a very valuable astrological manuscript from the early 19th
century.

Planned are interviews with monks who perform the traditional
tattoos and possibly can give information on the content and
preparation of the manuscripts.

As a preparation to this trip I search literature on manufacturing
technique and information about investigations and conservation of
Burmese manuscripts.

Further addresses and maybe even local contact to people who have
dealt with the production and the application of the tattoo
manuscripts are interesting for us.

We are very grateful for any further information

Stephanie Luerssen
Rautenstrauch-Joest-Museum, Cologne

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 24, 2016